- What is a Discovery Kit?
- Turn on the Devices
- Bluetooth Microphones
- Placement Considerations
- Your Environment
- Final Setup
- Using the Record app to create a recording
- After you have finished recording
What is a Discovery Kit?
The IRIS Connect Discovery Kit is a portable recording kit that allows you to capture footage from two different angles and have the videos merged together into one Reflection.
The kit includes:
- a blue (primary) iPad to capture audio and video, housed in a tripod
- a Bluetooth microphone with a lanyard (blue)
- a green (secondary) iPad to capture audio and video, also housed in a tripod
- a Bluetooth microphone with stand (green)
- a USB charging hub and cables (4x)
- an earpiece for Go-Live coaching (additional purchase required for the feature)
- 2 x velcro strap to secure the tripod when extended
- a case to store and carry the kit within.
Prepare the equipment
WARNING! Make sure that all devices are fully charged before you attempt to start a recording. You may get a low power icon flash up on the screen or the Bluetooth microphones will flash red, if this happens charge the devices with the supplied power cables.
Turn on the Devices
Remove the tripods (and iPads that should be attached) from the carry bag. The iPads do not need to be removed from the tripods or device holders, but if they have become detached you can reattach them by pulling the end of the holder to extend it. To turn on the iPad, hold down the power button located on the top of the device.
To use both microphones you will need to use 2 cameras (as the microphones need to be paired to a camera). The blue iPod/microphone in lecture mode is worn by the presenter/teacher and the blue camera focuses on capturing them. The green camera and microphone are for capturing the students.
The second microphone should be positioned so that it captures the voices of all students in the room. In general, this microphone will capture all voices in the room that you could hear with your ears if you were in the same position as the microphone. However, the closer the microphone is to a student, the better the audio of that student will be.
Consider that microphone could distract the students. Ideally, place it where they cant touch or play with it.
TIP: SummaryThe Screen Fade option toggles the live video on and off. You can use screen fade to avoid distracting students. You can toggle this switch while recording if you need to reframe your shot.
TIP: Glare Aware! Try to position the camera/s so they are not facing into bright sunlight. If possible, point away from windows or close window blinds to reduce glare.
Things to consider:
- make sure the devices are safe and won't be broken or be a trip hazard
- the size and shape of the room - do you need to capture the whole room or just part of it
- how is the lighting? is the room too dark or too light?
- does the room have poor acoustics/echo?
TIP: Front CameraTo assist which placing the camera out of the way the app has a front camera option so you can place it in a corner of the room and see what it is capturing. Please note You cannot toggle this switch while recording.
- Place the tripods either on the floor or on a desk or shelf, extending or decreasing the central pole to the desired height.
- If the tripod is somewhere where it might get knocked or if it’s extended quite high, we recommend using the velcro strap included in the kit to secure it to a table leg or similar.
- Clip the microphone to your clothing or use the lanyard and holder provided.
- Launch the IRIS Connect Record app on your device and follow the on-screen instructions or refer to this article.
Pairing your Devices
Use this article to pair your 2 devices together.
Using the Record app to create a recording
The Discovery Kit will use the Record app on your devices to capture your recording.
Use this article to see how to use the Record app.
After you have finished recording
- Make sure that the recording has uploaded before turning off the device.
- To turn off the microphones, press the button for a few seconds, the light will flash purple.
- Charge both the Bluetooth microphone and recording devices to make sure they will have enough battery for the next recording.